Monday 29 July 2019

Song Recommendations and Tips - How to Music Makermatic

Welcome back! Yesterday's post was a little heavy and wordy, especially for some of you still learning. So today, I will be going over a few song dos and don'ts, along with some other advice!

Note that these are just guidelines. If you feel like a song I mentioned to be easy is actually hard, or vice versa, that's up to you and do what you're comfortable with.

Song Recommendations
So for this, I will be going over songs from video games that would be easy to make and that will get yo used to the Music Maker. I recommend

  • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask - I asked the Discord server what they would recommend and a lot of people mentioned these two games. I agree wholeheartedly! Not only are they great for getting the hang of it, but they also help with easing beginners into the 3/4 time signature I briefly mentioned yesterday. One thing though, I would look at Ocarina of Time's music before Majora's Mask, since MM tends to have music that uses 3/4 more.
  • Almost any Mario Music - With the exception of anything orchestrated (I'll explain why later), music from any Mario game is great for starting out. Since there are so many different versions of the same songs, you can mix and match almost any instruments and it would still work.
  • Most music from RPGs - A good thing about RPG music is that it repeats the same bars of music. So making these kinds of songs are extremely easy to do since you can copy and paste a lot of it and it will still sound finished.
  • Older Pokemon Music - I'd personally say that any music before Gen 3 would be easy to make. Gens 4-5 are okay too, but that would be similar to the Zelda music thing I mentioned earlier. Plus like the RPG music, there's a lot of repeating.
  • Music from Simulations - Similar to the RPG music reasoning, but also because simulation music can be extremely relaxing. 
I wouldn't recommend...

  • Any Orchestrated - Of course there are exceptions, but the issue with orchestrated music is that it commonly uses a lot more instruments than the game allows. Best to avoid these as a beginner.
  • Songs with weird or changing time signatures - For the love of Wario, don't do what I did and try to cover Marx's Theme. You can avoid the suffering... Seriously though, even I find weird and changing time signatures to be confusing. The game is laid out in 4/4, so its best to stick to that for now.
  • Long Songs - At least to start out! A lot of my own covers at first were no longer than two minutes. It took me until Staff Roll (Super Mario 64) to feel comfortable.
Other Tips!

  • Look for a 4/4 version of a song! - They do exist! A great example is Kass's Theme from Breath of the Wild. The original version is in 3/4, but the Smash Bros Ultimate version is in 4/4. Keep an ear out and you might find what you're looking for. Unfounded Revenge from Mother 3 also has a 4/4 version in Smash!
  • Try a variety of instruments - Don't think the electric guitar really works? Try the acoustic guitar instead. Sometimes, a instrument isn't the best for it's intended purpose. Experiment! 
  •  Ask for help! - Other fellow creators are more than happy to help out! I'm also available to help as best as I can.
  • SAVE YOUR WORK! - I cannot stress that enough! I've lost full songs because I "would save in five minutes". Do it anytime it comes to mind and often.
I will be back tomorrow with how to find midis and sheet music!

No comments:

Post a Comment